Monday, July 28, 2008

The Weasels Go To San Antonio

Well we packed, when I say we I mean me and the word over packed would be more appropriate, our Weasel Wagon and headed to San Antonio. We took the 3 1/2 hour road trip to my in-laws house with our cruise control on "Having a good Time". I don't know who invented the DVD player for the car but GENIUS!!!!! Seriously, my son was locked in for the whole trip. He even had headphones so we could enjoy our tunes and not have to listen to Finding Nemo or Toy Story or Cars the whole way there and back. AWESOME!!! I am not sure if it is good parenting but it sure as heck is good for parents. Riley slept most of the time until we made a pit stop at Buc-Ees for diaper changes and stretching. Lane didn't make a peep until I took him to the bathroom where he proceeded to yell "Beaver" at the top of his lungs. Not really appropriate in the women's restroom but I think everyone knew he was talking about the Buc-ees mascot. Let's hope. BUC-EES Truck Stop; Notice the Beaver

We arrived at the parents' house ready to party. Nana and Papa were so happy to see the kids and us of course. But mostly the kids. Like Craig always says "Once you have kids you become a potted plant and the kids are the focus of the room". He loves that saying. Lane loved riding the tractor (aka riding lawn mower) with Papa and anyone who would take him for a ride.
Papa & Lane

Bryan & Lane
Craig enjoyed the newly paved drive way that he proceeded to ride Lane's skateboard down and nearly killing himself. Every time he would do it I would yell "You do realize you are our family's sole provider". He acted like he didn't hear me and did it like a hundred more times. Men are children in disguise. Gotta love them.



















He Lived!


Craig, David (his dad), Scotty (his brother), Bryan (his brother), and Jeremy (his brother) all went to play golf Saturday morning. While Lane, Riley, Dee (mother-in-law), Megan (sister-in-law), Chelsae (sister-in-law), Nolan (nephew) and I went to eat. Dee got to pick since this was a little celebration of her belated birthday. She picked this awesome Mongolian BBQ place called Hu Hot. Loved it. If you have never been to a Mongolian BBQ restaurant then you are totally missing out. You pick your noodle or not, then your meat, veggies and customize your sauce. You bring it to the BBQ guy and he cooks it all up on this huge round stone thing while you watch. It was awesome. A little steamy which did nothing for my hair but none the less good.

I made reservations for that night at the Oasis on Lake Medina for the whole gang. This was a great idea in theory but when we arrived it took an ugly turn. The place was 84 degrees inside. Yes, I said it 84 degrees inside. It may have been cooler if we had sat outside. This is Texas people we don't like to eat in the heat. We complained to the manager and she gave us some lame excuse about it being hot inside because they have to keep going in and out to serve people outside. Yeah right!!! I have been to many indoor and outdoor restaurants in Texas and never sat in 84 degree heat. "Sell crazy somewhere else lady, we are all stocked up here!" Gotta love As Good As It Gets. Any who.......that was just the beginning of our fabulous experience at Hellasis, I mean Oasis. We ordered. My salad was something straight out of a bag. It consisted of a hand full of spinach, a hand full of sliced mushrooms and a sprinkle of croutons from a box. That set us back $6.95. Craig and Scotty ordered Fish Tacos. When they arrived they were so disgusting that Craig, who never complains about anything and won't even take back a shirt, called the manager over and asked if they could get a hamburger instead. She took one look and with no hesitation said "oh, yeah I'll get that for ya". When she returned she brought with her a hockey puck on a bun. WOW! Could it get worse......oh yeah! Craig's dad had a Tossed Salad that was so drenched in salad dressing that it was soggy. He couldn't even finish it. This man will eat anything. He practically lives on Dairy Queen tacos for Pete sake. That is how bad it was. Jeremy thought that he would order the Lobster Raviolis. He thought that for $15.95 it has got to be good. Boy, was he mistaken. The plate was covered in sauce and had 6 raviolis floating in the center. No pasta, no side salad, nothing but 6 raviolis. To top it off it was room temperature and I don't mean 84 degrees. It was colder than that. The rest wasn't any better for anyone else. When we get the bill Craig and Scotty got charged for both the Fish Tacos ($14.95) and the hamburger ($9.95). We were so livid and sweaty by this point that we just paid it and went to watch the band outside. You know, where it was cooler. This is when it gets better. The kids ran around and danced to the band. Craig and I took a spin or two around the floor. Even my in-laws took the floor. We had some wine and that made it all better. The evening ended on a great note but I would not recommend the Oasis at Medina Lake to anyone. Well if I didn't like someone, maybe.

Nana & Papa cutting a rug









Lane showing-off his many moves



Scotty & Megan









Chelsae & Nolan









Jeremy & Me
Bryan & Riley
The next morning we decided to head back to our neck of the woods. We packed up the kids and all that comes with them. Why is it that it always seem like you take home more than you brought in the first place? Even if you don't buy anything. Crazy! Overall it was a fun-filled weekend with the family and a much needed get away.

2 comments:

chasity said...

I would have peed my pants if I heard lane yell out BEAVER in the bathroom, or I would have been on the potty already and then you would hear the crazy lady in the next stall cracking up!!!! Add that to the list of words not to yell in the bathroom!! hehe
Are you ready to make the trip again in a few weeks??? I think we might need to rent a uhaul to get all of our stuff there, you know how I pack:) that restaurant sounds wonderful, I mean who does not like eating in a sauna with cold soggy food?

Lula! said...

I love San Antonio. I loved the pictures--your family is gorgeous. I loved reading all of this, but I just have to tell you one thing:

The DVD in the car is NOT bad parenting. It's the greatest invention in the history of the world, right after Coke, Peanut M&Ms, XM radio and the iPod. It's brilliant, of course!