Thursday, July 10, 2008

The Weasels Go To The Woodlands

Well today was another "Banner Day" for the Weasels Crew. We decided to head on out to the Woodlands. I admit I like to take my kids to the Woodlands Mall as a source of entertainment. I know it sounds a little, okay maybe a lot, pathetic but it has all the elements I like. It has a play ground, air conditioning, food court, elevator and believe it or not a carousel. Yes people, a real working carousel. It is beautiful and just as you would imagine it. It is also only $1.00 and no charge for the adult or 5 month old that have to ride since the 2 1/2 year old is not 42" tall. So in a nutshell it is cheap entertainment for the kiddies and they love it
What I want to know is why is it when you get older your body tolerates a lot less? When I was a kid I would ride roller coasters that would go upside down, inside out and backwards. They would hang you by your toe nails until your face turned blue and snap your neck until your head almost fell off. I loved it and could ride from morning to night, no problem. But today on a less than 5 minute ride on a kiddie carousel I thought that I might loose my food court "Japanese" noodle lunch all over the place. Crazy isn't it.

Our next stop, on our voyage, is the play ground area. This is the place that a parent brings their child, good or bad, cute or ugly, sick or healthy, to play with other children they don't know. This is a time when the parent gets a few moments to themselves to sit and maybe talk on the phone,desperate for an adult conversation, or read a book or in my case feed the other child screaming from the limo of a stroller I cart around. I know that these places are just infested with all kinds of germs and only God knows what else but at this point Mama doesn't have a choice and doesn't care. All I can think of is, kid is screaming and I have got to stick bottle in that open hole to stop noise and headache from setting in, ASAP.

Now, to get to a place to sit down you have to maneuver your stroller through and around the play ground equipment and dodge a few wild kids too. The whole time you are apologizing to people who won't move their feet to let you by. Sometimes I bump into them or roll over their toes and then say "I'm sorry.", like it was a terrible accident. This was no accident. It is actually my way of saying....."PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR SURROUNDINGS AND HAVE SOME COURTESY FOR A FELLOW PARENT JUST TRYING TO MAKE IT THROUGH ANOTHER DAY". I finally get to the open seat next to the stroller corral, which mine won't fit in because like I said I drive a "Limo" of a stroller, so mine sticks out into the path for everyone to bump into. I know it seems a little over the top but it is necessary. Believe Me!

Finally, I am feeding Riley and Lane is running around like a crazy person. I have my eye on him to make sure he is still being courteous to other kids and not getting hurt. I think I might be the only one since I spot a kid out of the corner of my eye crying and looking for his mom. Mind you this place has only one in and out and is a giant circle. For pity sakes where could she have gone. I'll tell you, nowhere. She has her head in a book or on her cell phone, acting like she forgot she had kids. This is typical in these types of places.

Lane is a friendly kid and really makes friends anywhere and everywhere we go. His choice of friend on the other hand is lacking in the nice department. This annoys me. It burns my hide to watch a child be mean to my kid and no parent in sight to discipline the bully. So Lane hooks up with this kid who has brought a large, hard plastic spider to the play area. *A little housekeeping note to parents: don't bring your own toys to a play area at the mall. It is just a recipe for disaster and makes it difficult on all of us.
So Lane and spider kid are playing and seem to be getting along fine. Then spider kid starts to get a little rough. He starts shoving the large, hard spider at my kids face. I watch as Lane runs away with a part smile and part scared look on his face. I know that this is going to get old soon. He then decides that it is getting old and runs to me. Meanwhile, I have Riley and a bottle, so my hands are full. Spider kid follows and proceeds to shove that spider not only in Lane's face but mine too. I start looking for the mother of this arachnid and of course she is no where to be found. I put the bottle down and gently slap the spider away. He finally gives up and walks away. He then goes and sits not three spaces down and next to his mother. She never got off the phone or looked up. She was only three seats down the whole time when I needed back-up. Amazing! They leave and as they do they walk right by me. I never move my feet.

No comments: