Sunday, August 24, 2008

Ode to the Outlet Mall

Well we have a new outlet mall in out midst and it happens to be down the road from me. I have mixed feelings about outlet malls. I always have these expectations when I go. I imagine walking into the Gap outlet and everything is going to be half the price in the store but not the case. I go into the Gap Kids outlet store and the prices don't seem to be that different. I see signs that say 20% and 30% off but the tags read the regular price. I mean isn't that just a sale and not even a good one at that. I would love to know what they mean when they say "Outlet". I really don't feel like I am saving that much money. I have the feeling that the people who setup these "outlet malls" are thinking that just by putting that on the sign that it will draw a bigger crowd. I think it is more marketing then it is anything else.

I got a call from my friend, Joy saying that her and my friend, Jamie were heading to my side of town to go to the outlet mall and to see if I wanted to join. I say my side of town because most of my friends from high school live on the south side of town (i.e. Pearland, Friendswood, Sagemont, League City, etc.). I don't miss an opportunity to hang with my girlfriends so I loaded up the Weasel wagon and headed to the outlet mall. The outlet mall is not what I consider a mall. My definition of a mall is a large structure that contains many stores and is connected by air conditioned hall ways. This place is more of a super large, open concept strip center. When I say open concept I mean no roof and no a/c. Needless to say it was hot unless you were in a store. Have I ever mentioned how HOT and HUMID it is in Texas? Well it felt today like it was 200 degrees. I had both Riley and Lane in tow. Joy brought her too cutie pie kids, Chase and Carson. Jamie brought her adorable son Jackson. We were loaded down with kids. They were having a good time running ahead of us and chasing each other. I asked Joy, "Do you think that some people look at us and we become their reason for birth control?" She said, "Absolutely!". We went into Gymboree and thank goodness they have a television with some sort of kids show on. That kept their attention for a while so we could shop. Whoever you are at Gymboree that thought of that little gem, you are a genius!!!! After subjecting our wild ones to many, many stores we decided to treat them to a cookie and a Cherry Icee. Another genius on my list of geniuses is the inventor of the Cherry Icee. It's cool, refreshing and oh so sweet. After what seemed like an eternity in line, the guy finally got to us. I ordered a chocolate chip cookie with M&Ms and 2 small Cherry Icees. We all decided that we would take the kids into the air conditioned food court to eat their cookies. Plus Riley was fusing because she had been patiently waiting for her bottle. I sat Lane in a chair with his cookie and Icee. He was so excited about the cookie but not so much enthusiasm for the Icee. I got Riley all settled and started feeding Riley her bottle. It wasn't 30 seconds into it that Lane squealed. He had dropped 75% of his cookie on the floor. Of course he did! He was acting like a money and climbing all over his chair. I was not about to let the 10 second rule go into effect in this germ infested outlet mall food court. I told him that I may possibly get him another one but that for now he would have to wait and eat the banana I brought. He pouted a little bit but got over it a lot quicker then I thought he would. After we were all done we went in a few more shops. I got Lane a pair of cool shoes from Stride Rite for school. He calls them his football shoes. I have no idea where he came up with that. Daddy I am most positive. I never mentioned the cookie and neither did he. I did however treat him with $5.00 worth of rides they have in the middle isle of the walkway. He loved it!!!

Seriously, how many times is too much, "Lane look at Mommy! Lane look at Mommy!" I finally just give up and take the dang picture.


Lane the bull rider!!!



This time I get a smile but still not looking at the camera!

We were exhausted by the time it was time to part ways. It had been a day of fun, many trips to the potty, many stores, many threats to behave or no cookie, much sweat and good times with my girlfriends. Overall it was worth it. Joy and Jamie, Thanks for coming and hanging out with us. It was fun!

3 comments:

Joy said...

Thanks for joining us, Heather! It was too much fun, even if I did feel like I was in the middle of the Mojave Desert :)! We need to get the kids together more often. Carson asks EVERY NIGHT if we are going to go with Jamie and Jackson and see "Hedder" at the water park!! We have got to go back to that little slice of Heaven!

Lula! said...

You perfectly summed up my feelings about outlet malls. Love 'em. Hate 'em. And even with my mixed feelings, I still go. Because I usually find fabulous shoes at Nine West. That makes it worth the effort.

We can share Edward...everyone loves him. It's an accepted thing. But I won't share Rob Pattinson. He's my new boyfriend. MINE! :)

Lula! said...

Hey...I've been missing you!

Have you read Midnight Sun yet? It's Twilight from Edward's perspective. www.stepheniemeyer.com

She has the first 12 chapters linked on her site...with an explanation about all of it. Even though it's just the partial book, it's SO GOOD. I liked it even better that Twilight.