Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Now We Are Off To The Lions Den

Wake -up call is again at 6:30 am for our next leg of the race. We are now heading to Austin to stay with our friend Holly. She is a dear friend that I have known since middle school. She has 3 kids, Jackson, Abigail and William. Jackson and Abi are 5 year old twins (or at least they will be next Thursday). William is 1 month younger than Lane and Will be 3 in October. We are so excited to see them because they are fun to hang out with and William and Lane get along so well.

We packed the car with all of the stuff we originally brought and now have added some souvenirs from Sea World. If we keep accumulating stuff one of these kids is going to have to ride on the roof of the Weasel wagon. I wish I had taken a picture of our car packed to the max. It was just a miracle that it all fit. Well maybe just pure talent that I could fit it. If I do say so myself. We call Holly to get the directions. We are all set now. All I need is a Starbucks and I can kick it into high gear. We are going along just great but not a Starbucks in sight. Seriously, what does San Antonio have against Starbucks? Okay never mind, we found one. We get our coffees and we are now back "on the road again". I don't know what it is but when I am on a road trip, and still awake, that song gets stuck in my head.

We start looking for the exit that Holly told us to take. Neither Chasity nor I see this exit 281. Then we notice that 1604 North has all the sudden become 1604 South. What in the world has just happened? We are both flabbergasted. We call Holly to find out what happened and now how do we get to her. She tells us that we have passed it long ago and now we will be traveling a new route. Where is a GPS when you need one? We finally get turned around and are on the right track. When we finally arrive and are happy to get out of the car. Holly and the kids are there to greet us with sandwiches, chips and drinks. Gotta love that Holly.
We decide to take a rest from the car for a while and let the kids play. They all get along so well. After our rest we all pile in 2 cars and head to The Hollows Beach Club. This place is fabulous. It is up on the side of a hill amongst an awesome neighborhood and marina. The beach club is what they call the pool area. The pool was nice and refreshing and it had a restaurant with waiters to serve you pool side. This is the life.

Chasity, Kylar (hiding) and Holly

Lane and Will were wearing matching bathing suits. (Which was not planned.) They played so well together and even got into a little trouble together. We were calling them Frick and Frack. We all had a great time relaxing, soaking in the awesome view and just letting the Austin winds blow through our hair. It was exactly what we needed. We headed back to the house for baths and bedtime. We had all the kids in an assembly line for the tub. We had Frick and Frack in one tub and the girls in another. When everyone was bathed and in bed Holly and I snuck off to pick up some snacks for our boat trip the next day and wine for the night. When we returned everyone was asleep. We opened the wine and the back door and started going back in time. We talked about the old times and everyone we knew back then. We laughed, maybe a little too loud because a few neighbors' lights started coming on. We wound down about midnight. It was fun and a much needed little trip back to the old days when we weren't known as mom but as Heather & Holly. It was fun.

Frick (aka Lane) & Frack (aka Will)

Riley lounging in a poolside chair
Kylar playing in the fountains
Holly & Will
Lane and his popsicle

Riley asleep in her poolside lounge chair

The next morning we got up and fed the kids. We packed our bags for the boat. Holly and John have a boat that is docked at The Hollows on Lake Travis. This would be Lane's and Riley's first ride on a boat. I think it might have been Kylar's too. They were so excited. We also brought the tube so they could take rides. I wasn't sure if Lane would do it but boy was I wrong. I couldn't get him out of it. I was so proud of my little boy. Riley fussed a little at the beginning when she had to wear a life vest but I gave her a pacifier and she just sat back and chilled out. She even at one point took a nap. That girl will sleep anywhere.

Kids and Holly on the boat
Heidi, Me & Riley sporting her most fashionable life vest

Kylar, Lane & Jackson
Kylar & Lane tubing
Chasity, Kylar & Heidi
Me, Riley, Lane, Will & Kylar
I think Lane was getting a little homesick because he turned to me at one point and said "Can we eat lunch and then go home and see Daddy?". What a cutie!

When we were all done boating and living the life of leisure we headed back to the Lion's Den. We packed and headed back home. We had a great vacation and what an adventure for 2 moms and 4 kids.

3 comments:

chasity said...

After all of the whining and brother/sister bickering from Kylar about Lane, What does she say this morning???? I miss LANE! Of course!!
I miss it all, I am ready for another boat ride and relaxing day on the water!! That was the life for sure!!
Heather is the ultimate organizer/packer. I think they should have that event in the olympics, you would take the gold!

angela | the painted house said...

How FUN! I could seriously use some of that boat time! All you mommas and babies look so fab!

Holly L said...

I miss you guys!!! Come back and see us SOON! Heather - I LOVE reading your blog. Thanks for including your trip ;) Love and Miss ya!

Angela - bring the fam and lets go boating and beach clubbing!!!!