Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Are We Crazy Or What?

My friend, Chasity, and I made plans to take our kiddos on a road trip. The plan was to head from Houston to San Antonio on Thursday evening and spend the night with my in-laws. We would wake-up the next morning and head to Sea World. Spend the night Friday night and then Saturday morning head to our friend, Holly's house and come back Sunday. Yes, it does sound like a lot of driving but she and I are tough moms who can handle it........Can't we?

We were a little scared but ready for the challenge. My instructions to her were to pack light. Yeah Right, like that's going to happen with 4 kids and 2 adult women. We did the best to consolidate but ended up with a lot of stuff. I used my super power organizing skills to make it all fit in the Weasel Wagon. It was a challenge but in the end I won.

Now, all we had to do was make it there. I was confident that we would with no problems. I made sure that I drove the last trip we made to my in-laws so that I was sure I knew the way. So off we go!!!!!!

We get about 30 minutes into the trip and Kylar, Chasity's 4 year old daughter, says "Mom, are we there yet?". I thought I was going to pee my pants I was laughing so hard. I thought that phrase was something that only kids said in the movies. Apparently not, since she proceeded to ask about 30 or 40 more times. Funny the first time but no so funny the other 29 to 39 times. Kylar and Lane also began to argue like brother and sister for another leg of the trip. I heard, "Stop touching me! Mom, Lane is touching me!" to Lane growling at Kylar like a bear and her saying "Mom, Lane is giving me a headache". It was funny at times but other times Chasity and I looked at each other and said "Did you forget the beer?" Yes, this was the first time that Chasity and I had been on a road trip that did not include a cooler of beer. It sure is sad to grow-up.

We finally get to San Antonio around 10:30pm. I am cruising along and we come to the exit that I am suppose to take to get to my in-laws and it is under construction and closed. "WHAT!" This is the only way I know how to get there. I am also very low on gas. Of Course! Just like in every horror movie the car won't start or the girl falls down and can't seem to muster the strength to get up and run when the scary guy is coming. It is typical. Well, Houston highways and San Antonio highways are totally different. In Houston if you get off on the wrong exit you can just go to the next light and turn around. Apparently, in San Antonio they thought we did it wrong. They thought that if you get off at the wrong exit at night with a car full of kids, in a town you are unfamiliar with you should be punished and scared straight. Well we decided to try to make a u-turn and did. But to our surprise it lead us to a dead end feeder road. Wow, how convenient for us. There was a gas station on the corner so we at least could fill up. Lord knows we do not want to run out of gas in this neighborhood. This neighborhood was straight out of the movie, "Boys In The Hood". We saw a sign for free pregnancy tests along with a mural of Jesus and Mary on the side of the building. What a combo!

After driving through the neighborhood for about 20 minutes we finally made it back on to the highway. I now have my in-laws on the phone and asking for directions. They give us the new route and we finally make it to the house. Thank goodness the kids were asleep the whole time we were taking our detour. Can you imagine the questions they would have had?

My in-laws live in Rio Medina which is about 30 minutes outside of San Antonio. They live on some land and there nearest neighbors are down the road. When we showed up it was completely dark and you couldn't really see how secluded we really were. We start unpacking our car and loading up the guest house with all our stuff. As we are doing this I notice that Chasity's 13 year old step-daughter, Heidi, is closing all the blinds on the windows. My in-laws ,who are watching the little ones so we can unpack, inform her that it is not necessary to do that because there is nothing around us. She smiles and stops to unpack her stuff. The next morning I wake up and notice that Heidi has taken 2 pillows off the couch and stuffed them into the window, where mind you there are no blinds, to cover the window. What have we done to these city kids? They don't even feel safe in the country. I guess we gave her a bad impression with the route we took to get there.




3 comments:

Lula! said...

The pillows in the window are seriously the funniest thing I've seen all day. The minds of kids, huh?

Lemme know what you think about Twilight...I can't wait to see if you become as nutty as the rest of us!

chasity said...

Seriously girl, where is that photoshopping software?? Just kidding! I was there but i so love reading about it again and i am seriously sending you and Holly 365 more pictures that my sceered of the woods and fish girl Heidi took of the kiddos! I will cut some out before I send them to everyone as to not make them sit thru hours of pictures for entertainment. I sure did hav a blast and I know the kids did too! You left out the part where Kylar had to go in serious time out when mommy should have been having a beer too! Oh well, my drama queen got over it!!! I am still in awe over Shamu, I mean I really forgot how amazing it is to see a giant whale do tricks!! Next time, we get the beer ready to pop open at the immediate arrival of our destination!

Holly L said...

Hilarious!!! I am just now getting to read everything ;) I had no idea that Heidi had window issues...HA!