Monday, June 30, 2008

Vegan or Bust

I have had a lot of inquiries about the vegan in me. Just to clarify, a vegan is someone who doesn't eat meat or any animal products (i.e. milk, eggs, butter, cream, etc.) . Well I am here to tell you that it is not as hard as you may think. They have substitutes for everything. From milk to cream cheese to ice cream to whatever your heart desires. Shocking as it may sound....they are good too. Believe me, the former junk food queen with a side of sugar and fat, it's good stuff.

So how did you decide to become a vegan after 33+ years of life? Is what you may be wondering. I read a book. Yes, a book. It totally changed my outlook on what I was putting in my body and my family's bodies. The book is called "Skinny Bitch". The title caught my attention but the content kept it. Even if you do not become a vegan I will suggest this book to anyone and everyone. Not only did we give up meat and animal products but we have gone organic. Yes, I said WE. Craig is on board and Lane doesn't know the difference.

We have also given coffee the boot. I know what you are thinking "ARE YOU CRAZY?". You would think so but don't start an intervention just yet. We all know that caffeine is not good for you. C'mon! You know when you're chugging that Starbucks like a college kid at a frat party kegger, that the caffeine and sugar you're putting in your body is going to make you feel like crap later. I thought if I am going vegan to be healthy then I should do everything I can to put only healthy things into my body. I won't give you the grocery list of other things that I have cut out but I will let you know that I just make more informed decisions when I buy my food products. I know that you are snoring by now so I will just leave you with this...............

I like being a vegan and I feel 100% better after I eat. Do I care if you are not a vegan....no way. Live your life for you and no one else. At least, that's what I always say.

1 comment:

Nicole said...

Hi, found you at Angela's Painted House. I LOVED the book Skinny Bitch. Changed my life too. That and Claytons cancer. Not vegan yet, just vegetarian. We have one child with a cow's milk allergy, one with a soy allergy (hence the difficult to go vegan) and I have a peanut allergy. Hope you post some recipes for those of us still working on it. Did you buy their recipe book? Good luck with your blog. Nicole